Toby Barton Designs

March 31, 2012

Skirt 0162

Filed under: The 1912 Titanic Sewing Project — by tobybartondesigns @ 7:51 pm

Voila.  Here is the finished skirt.  I added the hooks and bars on the left hand side of the opening.  Finished off with dark purple wool self covered buttons.  I added a 1 1/4″ hem allowance which was turned up and hand stitched down.  I think that this a very lovely skirt for all women of any class.  This skirt could be made out any fabric from cotton to silk with a beaded overlay.  The weather was perfect to photograph the skirt.  Notice the snow.  Late season snow fall.

Advertisements

March 28, 2012

Skirt 0162

Filed under: Uncategorized — by tobybartondesigns @ 3:46 pm

Here is the skirt front.  I used two different wool fabrics instead of one.  Plain for the front and back panels and a tiny check for the side panels.  The skirt will fasten on the left hand side with hooks and bars.  I haven’t decided yet how I am going to trim it out yet.

Skirt back.  I popped the pleats out and topped stitched them down to hold them in place.

Close up of the facing and placket.  Only the upper portion of the skirt is lined.  It is under stitched at the upper edge and on the front panel edge.  I added a one inch placket on the left hand side in the seam allowance.  The hooks will go on the front panel edge and the bars will go on the placket.

Skirt 0162

Filed under: Uncategorized — by tobybartondesigns @ 3:26 pm

March 22, 2012

Duster Jacket for the 1912 Titanic Project

Filed under: Uncategorized — by tobybartondesigns @ 5:43 pm
Tags: , , ,

This is the finished Duster.  What great fun this was.  The jacket fabric is a heavy cotton duck with a green/brown stripe duck for the accents on the collar, cuffs, and pocket.  I created a front facing as well as a full lining.  The buttons that close the jacket are of self covered buttons out of the jacket material.  That proved very difficult to cover the buttons well so I choose to cover the rest of the buttons in the lining material.  If I were to “modernize” this jacket I would narrow down the width of the hem, lower and widen the armhole and enlarge the sleeves.  So there you have my first completed garment for the project.  Let me know what ya’ll think.  Thank you.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.