Toby Barton Designs

April 22, 2012

1912 Traveling Suit

Filed under: The 1912 Titanic Sewing Project — by tobybartondesigns @ 10:17 pm
Tags: , , , , ,

Here is the first look at the the Traveling Suit.  I know that I posted a sneak peek earlier this month.  So, today, I started to work on the suit starting with the cuffs.  I cut out my cuffs of self fabric of the the plaid, cut the lining out, faced the wool and put them together.  However, I ran into a slight problem.

The problem is that I did not add my ease to the top of the cuff to fit and lay smoothly on top of the sleeve.  Silly bean head that I am.  Basic pattern drafting calls for some ease.  You can see that the sleeve is buckling under the cuff.  To add insult to injury I do not have enough of the plaid wool to make another set of self fabric cuffs so……….

I am thinking of two things.  A.  eliminating the cuff altogether-which I don’t want to do because I love cuffs.  Or, B, adding a contrasting cuff of the skirt fabric with the same detail, see shot of skirt to the right.  I am not thrilled so far.  So, please give feed back on the following thought:  Should I eliminate the cuff altogether or go with the contrasting cuff with the plaid on top.


The cuff issue has been solved.  I took apart the cuffs, stitched the seams at 1/8″ , and remade the lining pattern giving myself a scant 1/8″ ease.  The cuffs went back together like a charm.

Advertisements

1912 Traveling Suit

Filed under: The 1912 Titanic Sewing Project — by tobybartondesigns @ 10:13 pm
Tags: , , , , ,

Here is the first look at the the Traveling Suit.  I know that I posted a sneak peek earlier this month.  So, today, I started to work on the suit starting with the cuffs.  I cut out my cuffs of self fabric of the the plaid, cut the lining out, faced the wool and put them together.  However, I ran into a slight problem.

The problem is that I did not add my ease to the top of the cuff to fit and lay smoothly on top of the sleeve.  Silly bean head that I am.  Basic pattern drafting calls for some ease.  You can see that the sleeve is buckling under the cuff.  To add insult to injury I do not have enough of the plaid wool to make another set of self fabric cuffs so……….

I am thinking of two things.  A.  eliminating the cuff altogether-which I don’t want to do because I love cuffs.  Or, B, adding a contrasting cuff of the skirt fabric with the same detail, see shot of skirt to the right.  I am not thrilled so far.  So, please give feed back on the following thought:  Should I eliminate the cuff altogether or go with the contrasting cuff with the plaid on top.

March 22, 2012

Duster Jacket for the 1912 Titanic Project

Filed under: Uncategorized — by tobybartondesigns @ 5:43 pm
Tags: , , ,

This is the finished Duster.  What great fun this was.  The jacket fabric is a heavy cotton duck with a green/brown stripe duck for the accents on the collar, cuffs, and pocket.  I created a front facing as well as a full lining.  The buttons that close the jacket are of self covered buttons out of the jacket material.  That proved very difficult to cover the buttons well so I choose to cover the rest of the buttons in the lining material.  If I were to “modernize” this jacket I would narrow down the width of the hem, lower and widen the armhole and enlarge the sleeves.  So there you have my first completed garment for the project.  Let me know what ya’ll think.  Thank you.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.